This morning, Hope (our Elf on the Shelf) had some ideas about what to include in the 2015 Village budget. Gary Wolsky – Village President/CEO, was — shall we say — less than impressed.
To see more of Hope’s shenanigans, check out our Elf on The Shelf photo album.
The Village Elf on The Shelf, Hope, suffered minor injuries in what authorities describe as a suspicious incident when a Jenga tower fell on top of her last night in the Fargo Village play therapy room. Read more below.
Click below to open The Village’s Elf on The Shelf album and see all the photos (You do not need a Facebook account to see the photos).
Hope, our Elf on The Shelf, is out of hand!
Fortunately, she sustained no permanent injuries.
2014 Proceeds Benefited Big Brothers Big Sisters of The Village Family Service Center
FARGO, N.D., November 21, 2014: RDO Equipment Co. and R.D. Offutt Company held their annual event, RDO Caters Taters for Charity in Fargo on November 6, 2014 at the Doublewood Inn. The potato luncheon and raffle, in its 15th year, served more than 2,700 potatoes through both dine in and take out and raised $52,135 in benefit of Big Brothers Big Sisters of The Village Family Service Center.
Susan Smith, Director of Big Brothers Big Sisters, said, “These funds will go directly towards helping us forge strong and lasting relationships between children and adults mentors in our community. This will help us change children’s lives.”
Fred Hudson, RDO Equipment Co. Director of Market Development, added, “This event would not be possible without the generous support from the Fargo/Moorhead community. Thank you to our sponsors, product partners, volunteers, and everyone who purchased a potato.”
Press release from www.rdocaterstaters.com.
Photos from the event below:
If you missed FM Wine & Dine 2014 Friday (or if you just want to relive it), here are some photos and video from the event. Thanks to everyone who attended, volunteered, etc.!
The event benefits Nokomis Child Care Centers and Big Brothers Big Sisters FM, both of which are programs of The Village.
Editor’s note: This post is from The Village Financial Resource Center’s “Real Money” blog.
Think back to a time when having an extra $1,000 would have made a major difference in the circumstance you were facing. How would the situation have played out differently if you had $1,000 to draw upon? Could you have avoided using a credit card and paying interest, taking out a payday loan, or having to borrow from family or friends? Whatever the situation, when you need to borrow money for unplanned expenses, it usually costs you in more ways than one.
The standard recommendation is to have a liquid savings account containing three to six months of your monthly expenses. Determine this amount by tracking what you spend. Don’t forget about your periodic expenses-the expenses that occur throughout the year, but not necessarily on a monthly basis. Periodic expenses include auto/home maintenance, gift buying, traveling, propane, medical deductibles, etc.
Three to six months of expenses in savings can feel like a very lofty goal for most families. However, having this amount in savings will protect your household from a tailspin if faced with periods of unexpected unemployment, seasonal income shortages, medical expenses, and major repairs.
Adequate savings provides you with a stable financial foundation. Just as a house is only as stable as the foundation it is built on, so are your finances.
Electronic Couponing and Deals
You can save money using the Internet through a variety of websites and mobile apps. Here are some of our favorites.
Websites (All of the websites listed here are also available as apps.)
- Freebies2deals.com – Created by a mom from Utah with established connections to the best freebies and deals each day. She gives great advice and also matches up store coupons with manufacturers for you. This is a great time-saver for people who want to get the deals of a crazy couponer without spending the time.
- Zulily.com – Deals on clothing for babies and kids and other stuff.
- 1saleaday.com – Various products on sale
- Woot.com – Daily deals
- Retailmenot.com – Coupon codes and deals
- eBates.com – Just about every online retailer is on this site. Once you have an account, you can search by product or retailer, find discount codes, and receive cash back on all your purchases. You get a free $10 gift card to the place of your choice just for signing up!
- GeoQpon – Coupons you can scan at the register
- Shopkick – Find coupons and earn points toward gift cards
- Smartphonemate – Earn credit at Amazon.com just by having the app open on your phone ($3/month) or tablet ($5/month)
- Gasbuddy – Lists all gas stations in the area, along with prices. You can update the prices as well and earn entries for a free gift card
Fargo-based men’s magazine “The Good Life” features a story and photos about the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in Fargo Moorhead. Read it below. (Click on the magazine for a larger view.)
The Village is so happy that RDO has chosen Big Brothers Big Sisters as the benefiting charity for this year’s RDO Caters Taters event on Nov. 6. In the video below, you can get all kinds of information about the event, including an answer to that all-important question: “How many potatoes does it take?”
The Village Family Service Center in Devils Lake has an opening for a licensed addiction counselor. More info here > https://www.thevillagefamily.org/events/view/74.